Friday, August 18, 2006

Jim Baen 1943-2006






I have my favorite authors, musicians, and heroes; you don't often hear of a favorite publisher. I inherited my father's fascination in science fiction, and a survey of my bookshelves reveal an interest reaching back to my boyhood in the early 1970s. An amazing number of those titles after 1983 are Baen Books. David Drake, David Weber, Lois McMaster Bujold, Eric Flint, and John Ringo are all Jim Baen discoveries. Jim was also a vocal supporter of the unencrypted ebook.

Jim Baen, publisher of Baen Books, and discoverer of some of my Favorite Authors, died of a stroke June 28th, 2006. I can't believe I just heard now. David Drake wrote his obituary here. If you are considering a memorial, please consider David's request.

I've only met the man through his taste for good stories... and I'm richer for it. Thank you Jim.

No comments: