Saturday, March 26, 2005

Google News adds, and then removes nazi hate-site

Last week I encountered a shocking bit of news on LGF, that Google had included a Neo-Nazi website as a Legitimate news source on Google-News.
I favour freedom of speech, but after browsing the National Vanguard site I had to protest.
I'm not saying it was me.  I'm not that egocentric. Google has been dealing with copyright and access issues prior to this, but I know I wasn't the only one emailing Google.  

Sent: Monday, March 21, 2005 9:51 AM
To: press@google.com
Subject: news source

Dear Google news/PR people,

I discovered today that Google is de facto endorsing a Neo-Nazi
white-supremacist hate site by honoring it as a legitimate news source.
That stinks. If I was a shareholder I'd be f****** ashamed. Is this the
kind of association Google wants people to make?

Andrew (hamm172) Rondeau
And the Reply:

Subject: Re: [#23205526] news source
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:02:41 -0800
From: news-feedback@google.com


Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your note. Google News does not allow hate content. If we
are made aware of articles that include hate content, we will remove them.


Please keep in mind, however, that our news sources are chosen without
regard to political viewpoint or ideology. This occasionally leads to
some unusual and contradictory groupings, and it is exactly this variety
that makes Google News a valuable source of well-rounded information on
the important issues in the news.

We have reviewed the inclusion of National Vanguard, however, and have
removed them from Google News.

Regards,
The Google Team

No Shit.

No comments: