Monday, October 10, 2005

Gawd! Enough about rights already!




I have my own business, investments, a family, and I'm a productive member of society. I am proud of my family's history, part of which came to Canada in the 1600's and set about right away helping to build a new nation on the banks of the St. Lawrence. The other part walked here over the Asian land bridge and has been in this land most likely since before the last ice age. Bearing in mind my aboriginal heritage, it's telling that I felt it necessary to start this post with the affirmation that I am a productive member of society.

I haven't commented previously in this blog about aboriginal issues; not about injustice, nor the widespread drug and alcohol abuse, rampant fetal alcohol syndrome, the family violence problems, nor the unemployment problems on the reserves and metis settlements. Aside from a few incidents in the past, I haven't seen much of these problems first hand. I don't live in an aboriginal community. My Parents do. And when we visit them, some of the stories we hear make it seem as if those problems I listed don't seem to be going away.

This is despite the Feds pouring over 9 Billion dollars into the Dept. of Indian affairs last year. (Thanks Tim, I wasn't sure where to look that one up) That's almost as much as the Defense budget ($13 Billion). 9 Billion dollars ought to buy a lot, But the people who seemed to benefit the most appear to be civil servants!

As a taxpayer I'm getting pretty damn sick of the way certain 1st Nations special interest groups are demanding the Federal government give them more money. More so those who promulgate to all who can hear them that their claim on the public purse is damn near a law of nature and should not be questioned. On August 4th Assembly of First Nations Chief Phil Fontaine told CBC's 'as it happens' that only 40 BILLION DOLLARS would be needed to 'give them closure.' This was in connection with their their August launch of 4 class action lawsuits against the Federal government for the residential schools thing and other historical 'wrongs'. Canada's mid stream media virtually ignored the story, and those outlets that carried it only mentioned one of the class actions, and part of the money demands. Last week, the Corus Radio Network's talkshow host Dave Rutherford hosted Jason Goodstricker, a Regional Chief for the "Assembly of First Nations." Rutherford, one of those rare conservative-minded media guys, was asking for some guesses about how much money did Goodstricker or the AFN thought it would take to solve the first nations worse problems.

Now I usually change the station when one of these Professional-Indians ( job title: Indian ) starts telling us how the 'white man' (they actually mean all taxpayers, not just caucasians ) owes them so much money, (Public-service unions affect me the same way). They don't have solutions to offer outside of (little boy voice, english accent) "Please sir, may I have some more?"

A century of indifference capped by 30 years of frantic liberal guilt money has created a multi-generational welfare dependancy that has ruined a people. The best thing for the First Nations people (not the organization) would be if Canada actually lived up to Trudeau's damned charter of rights (and abuses)that states all Canadians are equal. If it was up to me, I'd wean them from their special status, and tell 'em they got the same franchise everyone else has. I'm not arguing for assimilation, I'm arguing against perpetuating welfare dependancy. Besides, we've too many soft-headed fuzzy bunnies running the country to allow this victim group to assimilate into society. I mean, then what would all those poor displaced civil servants do?

At one time the first nations people were hunter-gatherers, but they've now had at least four or more generations to catch up with western civilization. Have they? What kind of pathetic losers still need special status to cope after all this time? I'll tell you. A people that have been taught by the welfare state to be pathetic.

I wish I was the King.

1 comment:

Tim said...

I could not have said it better, and I didn't. Thanks for the link. Very much appreciated.